DID YOU KNOW…we develop the ability to laugh at 4 months old! Although our sense of humour kicks in sometime around 3 years old, when we realize we can fool people. A child’s sense of humour is ripe for nuturing & encouragement. Studies continue to health as it is for your state of mind. Studies indicate that we need approximately 12 laughs a day, to stay healthy!
Laughing stimulates your heart & respiratory rate, increases circulation & exercises stomach & chest muscles. A hearty chuckle can actually give your immune system a boost, decrease the levels of stress hormones in the body & hastens healing. Sooo….go ahead, LAUGH! Cultivate your sense of humour – it’s like a garden. Sometimes seeing the lighter side of life & reaping its’ benefits requires conscious effort.
Here are some tips to get you started:
- Practice self-effacing humour. Share something funny or silly that happened, to you.
- Start your own collection of CDs/USBs etc that tickle your funny bone & keep them in your car. When traffic backs up, load up on some humour!
- Keep a humour journal. Jot down funny things people say & amusing observations you make.
- Escape “voicemail & email jail”. Keep a file folder next to your phone, filled with materials that amuse you – cartoons, quotes, cards, photos – anything to keep your blood pressure down.
- Keep a humourous prop handy. Maybe a water gun or clown nose. Try a magic wand for days when people make those impossible demands. Toys are NOT just for kids!
- Create a play list. Remember fun? It might include games, playing with your kids or pet, going skating, bowling, playing in the pool, colouring, getting out that long neglected yo-yo….the list goes on! Anything that reduces anger & stress.
- Lighten up your environment. Display funny pictures & posters – baby photos, pet moments, humorous birthday party snap-shots – any image that recalls laughter & happy moments.
- Learn & practice the humour pledge. “I’m pledging to find humour…I’ll make sure fun people and tools surround me…when there’s a humorous chance, I’ll grab it! Starting NOW!”
#listwithLU & #callLUtoView